Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

The one good thing about cold weather is that it gives me an excuse to eat lots of tasty soups.  Growing up, Mom made soups for special occasions (such as Vichyssoise on Christmas Eve....mmmm) & the dinners in highest demand by her kids were all soups: chicken & dumplings, gazpacho, chili, spaghetti & meat sauce so thick it was basically stew.  So its probably no wonder that soups are my favorite thing to make (and eat).

I kicked off soup season with a butternut squash soup.  Dave rated it "pretty good" but I think he's crazy.  I was scraping the pot for leftover morsels after dinner.

I used the Cooking Light recipe found here, but I cheated by using pre-packaged cubed butternut squash (who wants to chop all that squash anyway?).  I also used two pounds of squash, since that's what I had, and I thought it was perfect.  Oh yeah, and I used an immersion blender because its so much easier to clean than an entire blender.

Sauteing the squash, carrots & onions.

Adding cream.

Using the oh-so-convenient immersion blender.

Ready to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment